I’ve been an auntie for a long time. Since I was 5 years old. My siblings and I, the five of us, are spread out, so it isn’t too surprising that my first nieces and nephews were closer in age to me than my oldest brother.
I love being an aunt. It is one of the greatest jobs I’ll ever have. Ever. I was thinking last weekend as we were hanging out with Greg’s nephews and niece about just what I love most about being an aunt. There are so many things. I could really go on and on about how rewarding it is, but I picked a few of my favorite things.
- They listen sometimes better to me than to their parents. Key word: sometimes. I occasionally have to put on my “mom voice” and get stern, but for the most part, it’s easy.
- I can buy the little kids all the candy I want (and I am not the bad guy when their parents say “no more before dinner”).
- Babysitting is more like a play date. I get to plan something fun and something to keep them interested. I’ve found that the pet store can be both a blessing and curse for this. It’s cheap, and they love seeing the puppies. They also cry when we can’t take one home with us. Sad tears. Big, fat sad please-let-me tears. And don’t think the thought of actually bringing one home hasn’t crossed my mind. Those little lady tears are powerful.
- I can buy them loud annoying toys for their birthdays. I will most likely regret this when my own kids have birthdays one day, but for now, it’s fun. I tend to buy a lot of shoes for the little kids too. The older ones get money.
- They admire me. I love knowing that they look up to me as an example. And it is something that I take very seriously.
- I get to be their friend. My oldest niece is 23, and she knows she can call me just to chat or hang out or whatever. When I was in high school, I would go pick her up all the time, and she was my favorite shopping buddy. I love having a strong relationship with each of them.
I imagine more nephews and nieces in the future, mostly great nephews and great nieces, but it will be in the distant future. Maybe one of my own first.